QuickBooks Online Integration Setup Guide
DonorSnap is able to integrate your database with your QuickBooks Online account. This integration requires some setup before it can be used the first time, but after it has been configured, donations can be easily sent to QuickBooks in batches. If you are using the installed desktop version, read the QuickBooks Desktop Integration Setup Guide.
This integration is one directional. Donation records can only be transferred from DonorSnap to QuickBooks.
Setting Up the Integration
Authorize DonorSnap to access your QuickBooks Online account
1. Log in to your DonorSnap account. Go to Maintenance > Site Setup > Integrations and click the QuickBooks Integration tab
2. Click the Authorize button and follow the directions from Intuit. You’ll be asked to sign in to your QuickBooks account if you are not already. If you have only one company account tied to this username, then it will automatically select it for you.
3. Verify the correct company is listed next to the QuickBooks Online Company field when you are directed back to DonorSnap.
Configuring your QuickBooks integration settings:
Go to Maintenance > Site Setup > Integrations and click the Quickbooks Integration tab
The next step will require consulting with your bookkeeper. There are two methods of integrating your DonorSnap donation records with QuickBooks: General Ledger Only -or- General Ledger and Donor Detail.
General Ledger Only: This option will require the least amount of setup. It will create a transaction with a debit in your asset account and a credit in your income account along with a description stating the batch that the donation was integrated using and the DonationIPK number to identify which donation it was.
An example of what each transaction’s journal entry will look like:
General Ledger and Donor Detail: This option will require considerably more setup. Each contact in DonorSnap will need to be individually matched with the QuickBooks Display Name field in their customer account. This method will create a sales receipt for each customer which will include a description stating the batch that the donation was integrated using and the DonationIPK number to identify which donation it was just like the one above. The only difference is that it will be credited to a customer account using a sales receipt instead of a journal entry.
An example of what a Sales Receipt will look like in QuickBooks:
Link your DonorSnap Codes with your QuickBooks Accounts
1. Link your DonorSnap Accounting Codes with the appropriate Income Accounts (general ledger only setting) or Product/Service Name (donor detail setting) from your QuickBooks and validate them.
General Ledger Only: Link with Income Accounts
Donor Detail: Link with Product/Service Name
2. Link your DonorSnap Payment Method Codes with the appropriate asset accounts from your QuickBooks and validate them.
3. Optional: If using Classes in QuickBooks, create a user defined field called QBClass and link them together.
A. Go to Maintenance > Site Setup > Field and Screen Customization and click the User Defined Setup tab.
B. Change the activity table from Contact to Donation and click the “Add New Record” button.
C. Label your field QBClass and make it a single select dropdown field.
D. Click the sub-tab “Lookups for User Defined Controls” and add the options you need under the QBClass field.
E. Switch to the QuickBooks Integration tab of the Site Setup page, and click the “User Defined QBClass (Class) Accounts” sub-tab.
F. Link your QBClass options in DonorSnap to the Classes in QuickBooks.
4. (Only for Donor Detail integration method) Link your DonorSnap Contacts with the appropriate Display Name from your QuickBooks and validate them.